Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I'm Not Easily Impressed...but I'm Impressed by This

I am a big fan of sports (though I know some of you would rather I not write about sports on here, but this story is different) and I love following sports more everyday. It doesn't really matter what sport it is, I like sports stories. I came across this story today and I was amazed. I am not a big fan of players guaranteeing that there team will win. It just seemed pointless to me. Until now. Courtney Paris just told Joe Namath to sit down and shut up. Namath's guarantee isn't anything compared to Paris's recent promise. Namath might have looked like a fool if he the Jets didn't win the Super Bowl but it would really be no big deal. It wouldn't have cost him anything. Paris thinks that those types of guarantees are for kids, so she took it to the next level and I hope other follow.

Some of you may be asking the questions, "who is Courtney Paris." Paris is an All-American women's basketball player for Oklahoma University. I don't follow women's college basketball that much until tournament time, but I have heard of Paris before because she is one of, it not the best player in college basketball. She is clearly also a stand up person. as well. The following statement was made by Paris to OU fans recently:

"We're gonna win a national championship. If we don't, which is not even an option, just to put something on the line - and it might take me the rest of my life - I will pay back my scholarship because I didn't do what I said I was going to do."

$64,000 is what her scholarship is worth. Now most people pay their way through college, but Paris has lead OU to three consecutive Big 12 championships and they are going into this year's tournament as a #1 seed. So she has earned her scholarship. Either way, that statement takes guts. OU is certainly capable of making the Final Four, but they will have to get by the heavily favored, in my opinion, UConn to win the whole thing.

The odds really aren't with Paris, because it is a tough road to win the whole thing, but she just made the tournament more interesting for me and I will now be following closer than ever. I wish her the best of luck and hope that OU is able to pull this one out. This would then go down as the greatest guarantee of all-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment