Saturday, January 31, 2009

And They All Fall Down

A good bit of the time my posts are going a revolve around something that annoys me. Today it is tennis players. Now I am a tennis player. I don't play at a high level or for any sort of trophy, I just play for fun. Still I am a very competitive person and I hate to lose at anything.
I think professional tennis players are amazing athletes. Some of you may have watched Nadal's semifinal match the other day and some of you may not, but the man is an amazing athlete. The guy played a match that went on for about five and a half hours and played at the highest level the entire time. What I am annoyed about is that after five and half hours of grueling tennis Nadal won on a double fault. Hey I couldn't even lift my arm after over five hours of tennis, so I am not making light of his opponent double faulting, but after the guy double faulted Nadal fell to the ground in joy. Now I have fallen to the ground after tennis matches, but I had a cramp in my leg. Nadal didn't, he fell on purpose and that bothers me.
I mean, if you win on match point by hitting a running forehand after a long rally and you fall to the ground sure, but one the point in question Nadal didn't even do anything and he still fell to the ground. I am not a fan of this. I am not a fan of tennis players falling to the ground period after winning, but especially if they are supposed to win.
The absolutely worst at this celebration of all time is Roger Federer. The man could have won public courts in Charleston during the height of his career and he would have fallen to the ground in celebration. It just doesn't make any sense. First, if you are so good that you win in straight sets or just beat the pants off the other guys, why do you fall to the ground in celebration. I have to admit that I have a "dog in this hunt" because I am a big fan, a big fan, of the fist pump. The Michael Jordan fist pump is the best form of celebration that exists. I am sorry, there really is no argument. Jordan was so good that all it took was a fist pump for celebration because he knew he should win. 
Last year at Wimbledon, Nadal finally beat Federer to take over the roll of best player in the world. It probably was the greatest tennis match of all time and when Nadal won he fell to the ground. You know what, fine. I am fine with that. Federer should have won and Nadal player the match of his life and got over the hump. If Verdesco had beaten Nadal and fallen to the ground then fine, but Nadal was supposed to win. And this was the semis, he didn't even win the whole thing. Now I know that was a hard match and I have the utmost respect for Nadal. I am a big Federer fan, but Nadal may frankly be the best in the world, so he needs to act like it is my point. I mean when WVU beats Marshall in football the fans and players don't storm the field because WVU was supposed to win and they act like it.
Favorites need to act like the were supposed to win. Study the Jordan fist pump and learn to how celebrate like you are the best in the world. I don't care who you are or what sport you play, if you are supposed to win and you win, then act like it. People will recognize you as the best at something when you act like you are, so these guys need to start acting like it and simply give it the ol' fist pump.

No comments:

Post a Comment