Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Favorite Sitcom

Last night may have well been the end of an era for me, in fact it was. Last night was the season finale and possible the series finale for Scrubs. Scrubs is my all time favorite sitcom and I will miss it very much (though nightly I watch reruns on DVD and Comedy Central). It is hard to believe that the show, at least in its original format, won't be on TV anymore. Scrubs was the only show that I watched during its scheduled air time (everything else is DVRed). Scrubs ranks right up there with The West Wing as my favorite shows of all time and it's characters certainly were among my favorite.

I don't know if Scrubs will be back for another season, but I do know that if it is that it will be without its heavy hitters, including Zach Braff, Sarah Chalke, and Donald Faison. Scrubs was great because it was not only extremely funny every week, but they were also able to throw in the occasional drama episode. One week the show would make you cry from being sad and the next you would cry from laughing so hard. It was/is a brilliant show created by the genius Bill Lawrence (he also did Spin City folks) and it is really sad to see it go.

The relationship between the characters is what made the show. JD and Turk's relationship was one of the greatest "buddy" relationship ever. But it was how all the characters interacted that made the show what it was. The show wasn't just carried by its main two stars, you had Dr. Kelso, Dr. Cox, Carla, and Elliot all making sure that the show stayed fresh. The show centered around JD, but what made it great and what made it last so long was the fact that the show moved its focus around to different stars.

The characters on the show were what made it so great. Forget about the main characters, though they were wonderful, it was the other cast of characters that made the show great. The Todd is possibly one of the greatest side characters in TV history. Jordan Sullivan was the hot, mean lady that kept the show very edgy and funny. Nurse Roberts was hysterical and also a good moral compass. Doug was the idiot that everyone kept putting up with but that always kept the show light. And my favorite was Ted, who always kept the level of humor at the top level. Also, I have to through out some love for Snoop Dogg Intern/Resident/Attending. Manley Henry didn't get to say much during his tenure, but if you pay very close attention, you will notice that he appears in every episode, I mean every episode.

The special guest stars were also nothing to sneeze at. Here is a short list, Matther Perry, Ryan Reynolds, Michael J. Fox, Barry Bostwick, Richard Kind, Heather Locklear, Tara Reid, Brendan Fraser, Tom Cavanagh, John Ritter, Michael McDonald, Sean Hayes, Nicole Sullivan, Scott Foley, Rick Schroder, Molly Shannon, Julianna Margulies, Heather Graham, and Elizabeth Banks just to name a few.

So in honor of the season/series finale last night, I will list my favorite Scrubs episodes from each season. Yes, I have watched every episode enough times on DVD to know which are my favorites. You will notice that I titled my blog in honor of Scrubs (every show title starts with "My...") Here we go:

Season 1: "My Old Man": John Ritter appeared, so that is enough for me. It was one of those great episodes that included both drama and humor.
Season 2: "My Case Study": Very funny because it included a reference to "front butt."
Season 3: "My Clean Break": JD finally breaks up with a girl, but the best part was Dr. Cox becoming happy and then angry again.
Season 4: "My Last Chance": This is one of the my favorite episodes of all time because so much is going on.
Season 5: "My Lunch": This is probably my favorite episode because it truly embodies everything you need. It was very funny, serious, sad, and insightful. This is a classic.
Season 6: "My Musical": The Scrubs musical was priceless. I was a little nervous at first, but when JD and Turk did "Guy Love" I still laugh just thinking about it.
Season 7: "My Bad Too": One of the funniest episodes of the latter season. It has Dr. Cox stealing food and Turk gets brenner (breakfast for dinner) which we all love.
Season 8: "My Finale": This is an easy one. I was really worried about how they were going to end things and they could not have done it better. I was very happy with how it went down. Thank you Bill Lawrence.

This has been a long post, but the show deserves it. I will miss my friends on Scrubs because they never let me down. I understand that things must move on and I will follow all of the stars on the show. It wasn't one of those shows that went away for a season or even half a season, the show and its cast were also on top of their game. TV lost a giant last night, because no matter what the ultimate fate of the show is, it will never be the same. I hope it comes back next year with a new cast and I will watch it, but I will still miss the good old days and my good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment