Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Shows That I Miss

It is no secret to anyone that reads this blog that I am a big TV fan. I watch a good bit of TV, though I have begun reading more so yeah for me. Anyway, I have focused a few blogs about my favorite shows and characters on TV. This blog is going to focus on those shows that got cancelled too early. These are the shows that I really miss and wish I could get more from. These aren't shows that had great, long runs, like The West Wing that I really miss, but shows that were great, but never really got a chance. By the way, I love Top Ten Lists, so here we go:

10. Jericho: I never really got into this show until I heard it was going to be cancelled, so I took a look and loved the show. I remember people were really up in arms about this being cancelled and after watching it, I can understand why.

9. The Tick: I didn't really get into this show until after it was cancelled, but it is very funny and very smartly written. Plus, Patrick Warburton (Puddy) was wonderful and extremely funny.

8. Futurama: I mean what a well written show. It is difficult to write this kind of humor. This is another show cut by Fox (which is a pattern on this list) that should have been given more time. It was funnier than King of the Hill and to some extent The Simpsons (though I love the Simpsons, but it is a different type of humor).

7. Firefly: I only caught a few episodes of this show, but I loved the ones that I saw. It was created by Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer). The show didn't even make it through a full season on Fox (surprise) and was probably one of those shows that was too smart for a network audience.

6. Sports Night: One of two Aaron Sorkin shows that are on this list that were too smart for their audience. Sorkin wrote the shit out of this script and the audiences just couldn't handle it. The old shows are still fun to watch and I really wish that this could get started up again. The cast was wonderful, Peter Krause, Felicity Huffman, Joshua Malina, and Josh Charles were great, but weren't really given a chance.

5. Freaks and Geeks: One of two great shows that Judd Apatow (Undeclared). This is one of the best shows ever created about teenage and high school life. It was a very smart comedy that should still be on TV. If you think back the show had James Franco, Seth Rogen, John Francis Daley, and Jason Segel in it. How could those guys not still be on TV.

4. Family Guy: Some of you all may not be aware that Family Guy was once cancelled by Fox, but was lucky brought back by the network. We all know how funny the show is, so that doesn't need to be mentioned, but how lucky was Fox to keep this show and how lucky are we that the show came back.

3. Kitchen Confidential: What a great show. It was extremely well written and very funny show that was based on a book written by Anthony Bourdain. The two producers were Darren Star (Sex and the City) and Dave Hemingson (Just Shoot Me and American Dad) so they got star power there and the cast was not full of big names, though it had Bradley Cooper, John Francis Daley, and John Cho in it, but the cast worked very well together and only one season of this show just wasn't enough.

2. Arrested Development: It is very hard to think of a funnier show ever on TV. Once again, Fox dumped a great show that for some reason just didn't find a steady audience. No one could ever figure out why the show could find and audience, though my opinion is that you just can't write comedy that smart for networks. The movie is in the works, but I would prefer the show make a comeback.

1. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: It is difficult to say that a show that only last one year is one of the best written shows ever on TV, but this show fits that bill. Sorkin once again did an amazing job and put together a wonderful cast. Lets just take a look at a few cast members, Matther Perry, Amanda Peet, Bradley Whitford, D.L. Hughley, Sarah Paulson, Timothy Busfield, Steven Weber, and Nathan Corddry. Lets not even mention that Sting was a musical guest. Still, I could have started in this show and it was so well written that it would not have mattered. Sorkin is a king and this show should still be on the air. Once again, too smart for network.

No comments:

Post a Comment