Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Are the Glory Days Really Behind Me?

Okay, a little back story is needed here. About a week ago it was determined that A-Rod's cousin was the person who injected him with an over-the-counter substance to gain an energy boost. This started a rash of emails back and forth between my brother, my cousin, and myself. In one of the emails my cousin starts off by saying "When one reflects back on the 'glory days' one can add details to the story at will." We have began referring to our former years in the gym and playing ball as the "glory days," mainly since they have passed the three of us up and now all we have our stories. My cousin's point was that while A-Rod couldn't remember much detail about these days, while we are always able to remember exactly how successful we were during our "glory days." It never fails that when we get together my brother explains to us how much we was able to curl and my cousin reflects on how bad an idea it was to try and squat twice his body weight. Anyway, to end his email, my cousin wrote, "One doesn't realize they're in the glory days until they have past."


So I wrote the two of them back, mind you they are both older than me, and said, "Are you saying that we aren't still in our 'glory days'." My brother then put an end to the question with the following email, "I promise you both that the glory days are over. If you have any doubt, try to remember the last time you hurt your back bending over. Was it to pick up a 75-lb. dumbbell or just something on the floor? Or maybe even just getting out of bed? 'I don't know what I did to my back!' That's a first sign indicator, the glory days are long gone."

I bring this all up, because I woke up this morning in a good deal of pain. For you doctors out there, or want to be doctors, see if you can figure this injury out. I work up this morning and my right shoulder was killing me, I could barely bend over because my back hurt, and I couldn't put hardly any pressure on my left knee. So right shoulder, back, left knee. Doesn't make much sense huh? For some of you it does. It is a common injury that is the result of playing too much Wii Sports Bowling.

I thought to myself, "seriously, I can hardly move because I played to much Wii Bowling." I wasn't even using a real bowling ball. Now most of you know that I remain somewhat active (not as much as in my "glory days") with tennis and squash. I play at least two to three times a week and most weeks more. I play pretty hard and most of the time it doesn't take long to recoup, but man I am sore this morning. So maybe my "glory days" are really past me. I am not willing to give them up just yet, but some of the signs are there.

1 comment:

  1. Although you don’ know it – you are currently living in your Wii Glory Days. It will take me 10 years to prove it but here’s how I’ll do it… 10 years from now you’ll have to look back and tell me if you could bowl “as much” (meaning the amount of time playing the game) as you can now. If the answer is less than what you can do today, then we have proven the formula.

    Also, one’s back hurting while bending over doesn’t hold much weight. Anyone who put time in the gym doing bent over rows will be subject to this pain. I stick with my prior statement that “One doesn’t know they are in their glory days until they have past.”

    And just for the record it was around 2.5 times my body weight.

    ReplyDelete