Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Keep an Open Mind...and an Empty Stomach

You should keep an open mind in all aspects of life. Whether it be work or personal, keeping an open mind about how others think and see the world is important. You don't have to agree or like what someone says or does, but at least have the respect to listen. No one has all the answers and no one has a monopoly on what is right and what is wrong, so listen, and hear, what others have to say, because who knows, maybe you might learn something.

But that has little to do with what I am going to talk about this morning. My suggestion for keeping an open mind is to make sure people try different things. Last night, my wife made a wonderful dinner for me. Hopefully she will update her blog, Splendid.Bites, soon with the receipe, but that is another story. I have to say that when I first saw what she made, it made me a little nervous. It just didn't sound like things that would go together to taste good. But this is not my first rodeo with her food and she has made somethings that have taken me out of my comfort range and I am usually pleased, so I thought I would give it a try. I don't really know how to explain what it was, so check her blog soon, but it was wonderful. If this had been a few years ago I probably wouldn't have even tried it, but my wife has opened me up to a different style of food and I have enjoyed it. I have never been one to question what others are trying to feed me, but I had gotten used to a certain type of food that is all. I still like the good old home cooking stuff, but trying something new never hurt anyone. And nine times out of ten, I bet you will be happy with taking that chance.

I wanted to pass this story along, so that maybe the next time you have an opprotunity to try something new to eat you will give it a shot. I seriously doubt it will hurt you and most likely you will be surprise. So don't walk into a resturant and say that you don't like something if you have never tried it. Just try it and find out. You may not like it. You don't have to like everything, but you don't know what you are missing if you don't try.

My best advise, baed on experience, to those of you out there that are a little nervous about what you eat, go to a sushi bar (if you are unwilling to eat sushi, and I mean sushi not California Rolls, then you are probably beyond my reach), sit down at the bar and say to your sushi chef "omakase." Your sushi chef will give you a little grin and then take you on the culinary ride of your life. Trust Me!

2 comments:

  1. "Leaving the selection up to the Chef" is always a good choice. Let the cook, cook - I always say...but I would avoid using Omakase at McDonald's. The "chef's special" might not be what you're willing to ingest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the McDonald's comment, but if you are at Hardee's...give it a try

    ReplyDelete