Saturday, February 7, 2009

Poor A-Rod...and the rest of us

What can you believe anymore? Now A-Rod has tested positive for roids. I think that among the baseball community it was just a given that A-Rod was clean and that he would break the all-time home run records, currently held by Barry Bonds (though most still give credit to Hank Aaron, but not me). I have never been a big A-Rod fan, though I think he is a heck of a baseball player. Let me point out that I wrote that in the present tense, because I still think that he is a heck of a baseball player. Anyone will tell you that taken roids can make you quicker and stronger, but it can't make you hit a baseball. I think that A-Rod won't be anywhere close to the player he has been because I really don't consider him to be mentally strong, but I hope I am wrong about that.
Don't get me wrong I feel just awful that he, for lack of a better word, cheated. It is disappointing, but there is a silver lining in it for me. The funny thing about this whole thing with roids in baseball is that it centered around Barry Bonds being the biggest cheater in the world. Guess what folks he wasn't alone. Other, and I bet many, hitters were cheating and even pitchers were cheating. Let's now go back to the conversation that talks about Bonds being one of the greatest players of all times. When someone asks me, who the best player of my generation is, I say Barry Bonds. 
I am a big Bonds fan, so I wish him well. I think that baseball writers are going to end up looking foolish over all of this by making Bonds out to be such a bad guy, while their darlings Roger Clemens and now A-Rod were probably more guilty then Bonds. Bonds likely will go away free and the writers will still not let him in the Hall of Fame. I hardly recognize the Hall of Fame as it is without Pete Rose, add on to that Mark McGwire and maybe Barry Bonds, and while baseball will still be the best sport ever Scott, I won't be visiting the Hall of Fame anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. I think that many of us are now coming to the realization that steroids have been abused within the game of major league baseball probably more than any other sport. I think this was overlooked for the longest time due to the notion that baseball players didn’t necessarily need to be physically big – they just had to have incredible hand-eye coordination, bat speed, arm speed, and the ability to scoop up a 120 mph ground ball jetting their way.

    Hearing this about A-Rod does indeed sadden me – mostly because it is another black eye on the game of baseball. First steroids, then Madonna…what has he been thinking the past couple of years? All the steroid talk leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Are there no more positive (no pun intended) stories in baseball?

    This is why I enjoy watching NCAA baseball. When you want to watch solid fundamentals, turn on the college world series. Most true baseball fans will not be disappointed.

    Lastly, my picks for two of the greatest players of all time - Cal Ripken Jr. and Derek Jeter. Yes folks…they are shortstops.

    ReplyDelete