Thursday, February 19, 2009

Fantasy Baseball Draft

Well, I know you all have been waiting for this, so I got into a fantasy baseball draft this evening, so I can blog during the draft. It is a 16 team, 25 player roster league, so I won't comment on each post, but I will give some insight into my team and stragtey and some other random things that go on during the draft. The draft starts at 11:00. I am going to finish watching Burn Notice and then I will be back, so stay tuned.

10:58--two minutes away from the first pick. I pick eighth. probably looking at Miguel Cabrera, assuming all goes like it should...we will see.
11:00--it never takes long in a fantasy draft to be surprise. Pujols went first. Not a crazy pick, but a reach considering the league allowed trading picks, so he should have done that.
11:03--my pick...the guys I thought would be gone, Ramirez, Rodriguez, Wright, Reyes, Pujols, Braun, Sizemore were gone, so I went with Cabrera.
11:08--first round in the books...no real surprise...the big surpise was that in a 16 team league were nobody knows each other, we only had 1 no show...that is a great turnout
11:10--two picks to me...looking for Ian Kinsler...we will see
11:12--got Kinsler...real happy to get a 2b...not a deep position, so I don't have to worry about that now...looking maybe for a pitcher next...John Lackey possible...if not maybe a catcher.
11:18--this is why you never think too far ahead in a draft when you don't know the players...Matt Kemp fell to me with the 40th pick...he is ranked 30th overall, so I had to pull the trigger on a five category stud (this is a 6x6 league)
11:20--not to get too far ahead, I am about 10 picks out, but I am looking at possibly going with Abreu if he is still around, Chris Davis maybe, or Geovany Soto...of course, if Lackey is still there I will have to go with him
11:23--Lackey just came off the board, three picks ahead of me, so I will have to switch gears
11:25--took Chris Davis with my fourth pick...it is a bit of a flyer, but with him and Cabrera, I can turn my attention away from power and rbis for a little bit...probably focus on pitching for a few picks...my hitters have all good average guys, Kinsler and Kemp will score and steal bases, while Cabrera and Davis have the power stuff down
11:30--i have never been able to resist a good bat if it is sitting out there, so I had to take Abreu with my 5th pick...he is too strong in all six cats, so I again passed up pitching...maybe next time
11:34--not sure why, but closers are coming off the board fast...I listen to my main-man Matthew Berry when he says "never pay for saves," so it isn't a big deal, just interesting
11:39--there were still some pretty good bats on the board, but I got my target in Zack Greinke, so put a pitcher on the board for me...probably do the same next time by
11:43--really glad someone just took Victor Martinez so that I didn't feel like I had to
11:45--well it happened again, I took Raul Ibanez...don't worry, I have my eyes on some pitchers, so I got that covered, but Ibanez is just too solid and consistent, just like Abreu...I had to do it
11:54--I got my man...Ricky Nolasco...maybe could have fallen another round, but he is the guy I wanted, so I made sure I got him...at this point in the draft (Round 8), you have to get the players you want
11:55--interesting trend I have noticed...it is still early in the fantasy season and in this draft and mocks I have done, I noticed guys are still taking names instead of stats...be interesting to see if that trends continues, because if you don't follow baseball closely, so always just draft names
11:57--wanted Kevin Slowey, but he came off the board two picks before me, so I switched up and went with Josh Johnson...again maybe a round early, but he fits my pitcher profile (low whip, low era, mid wins) perfectly
12:05--again got my target, Mike Aviles...I need a SS, but Aviles is both is 2b/ss, so if I get a weak, SS, I can just play him there..he is going to hit .300 and go 10/10, so good for this point in the draft
12:11--didn't really know where to go...I was going to the pen, but saw too many of the same guys out there, so I picked up Pablo Sandoval to fill my 1b/3b slot...the guy will hit .310 and I will need it, because I have to take a hit on average for a catcher
12:18--needed to get a relief pitcher in their, so I was happy to see Heath Bell still on the board...i still have some personal issue with Bell, cause of his time with the Mets, but fantasy can't be personal, so he was my choice...probably go back to the pen next time round
12:24--went with Chad Qualis for my pen...good sleeper closer this year...he has the job, so that is nice and he is solid, so I could have done worse
12:30--Clayton Kershaw was a good guy to see on the board this late in a deep draft like this, so I jumped at the chance...has huge upside and I needed some ks, so that should work out great
12:38--picked up J.P. Howell to fill my holds cat...he is considered a starter, which is nice, so he should work out real well...he may even get a chance to start some or close some, so a lot of upside late in the draft
12:43--got some really good, cheap saves by picking up Dan Wheeler...if Wheeler doesn't close, he will still pitch, so the era and whip will help, but he is in line to do most of the closing in Tampa, so it is worth a shot
12:49--settled for Erick Aybar at short stop...Jed Lowrie was right there, but got taken a pick in front of me...first time that has happened...Aybar hits for good average and some power, but his main upside is speed and I needed a lit bit...was going to target him as a bench player, but oh well
12:52--really, really happy to get Chris Perez this late...he is going to close in St. Louis, so that is a huge plus this late...good upside here
12:59--finally got a catcher in the 19th round...went with John Baker of the Marlins...he is going to hit .275 with maybe 10 homers, but more than anything, I just trust the Marlins to have guys that surprise everyone, so he is my pick to do that
1:03--in the 20th round it is all about upside, so I gave Elijah Dukes a chance...one day Dukes will go 30/30 and I want him on my team when he does...it probably won't be this year, but 15/15 is not out of the question and I can take a hit on a .250 average because I have enough cover with other guys
1:09--my first bench player was Hideki Okajima...he is going to get some wins, saves, holds and has an amazing era and whip...i don't know where he will fit in, but I am sure I will find a spot...he was just too good to pass up, with little left on the board
1:13--took Juan Rivera in the hopes that he gets playing time in LAA...think he will and if he does he can put up decent numbers...if he doesn't not a big deal
1:20--took a flyer on Kenshin Kawakami...he is going to start for the Braves, so why not...you never know with Braves pitchers, so I like the upside...and I needed another guy I knew was going to start
1:24--late round picks are about getting any reward because there is no risk...with that said I took a chance on Luis Castillo...he may lead off for the Mets, though I doubt it...he will still hit second and can run and score runs, so why not
1:30--last pick...I find some irony in the fact that the Yankees now have CC and Cleveland has the Yankees lastest bust in Carl Pavano...maybe Pavano can stick it to the Yanks, so I gave him a chance with my last pick

I like my team, at least looking at it at 1:30 in the morning (I find it hard to sleep when I travel). I may get more in depth later, but I got other drafts to come still, so I will probably wait and compare them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment