Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Grown Men Crying

I am man enough to admit that I have cried before. Several time, for a variety of reasons, and it is really nothing to be ashamed of. But I have been asked to give my thoughts about Roger Federer breaking down and crying after losing the Australian Open, so here they are.
I have to start off by saying that I am a big Federer fan, like I stated in a pervious blog. I have the utmost respect for someone who is "that good" and other than Tiger Woods and maybe Michael Jordon, no one is "that good" at their sport as Federer is at tennis. Federer is still close to the top of his game, but Nadal has simply caught up with him and Federer is slipping a little bit. Federer could be, and should be, considered the best tennis player of all time, so it has to be hard for him to realize that he is not the best in the current game anymore. He is 27 years old and he has already reached the peak of his career. I think that this is what was going through his mind when he broke down after the Open. He is the best ever, he is one Slam away from Sampras's record and he is not the best player in the world anymore. These thoughts simply were too much for someone who is "that good." I think he will get the record for Slams before it is all said and done, but he played as hard as he could in the Open and he lost, this is not a normal day on the court of Federer. He hardly ever has had to play as hard as he can and when he does, he rarely loses. So that is the rationale I give for Federer breaking down and crying.
All the being said, I was dissapointed in him. When you lose you should be pissed off, angry, and thinking about revenge. Was Federer really thinking that this was it for him? Maybe he truly believes that he can't possible do any better, but breaking down and crying, come on man. You got beat, suck it up, show respect for Nadal and move on to the next tournment. Cry in the locker room, cry at home, cry where ever else you want, but not there.
First off, this was Nadal's moment. I am not a huge Nadal fan, but man that guy can play tennis, and I respect that and I love watching him play. Let Nadal enjoy his moment and show the man some respect. Say you got bested by him and that the better man won on that day. You don't have to mean it, but you have to say it and more important, show it. Secondly, you are a professional tennis player. I can understand how much heart, soul, and energy is put into these matches and into their profession in general, but nobody died and nobody got hurt. I understand that it is upsetting to lose when you played your hardest, but come on, act like a professional, move on, and vow to get him next time.
This incident doesn't change the way I feel about Federer. I will still root for him and I still consider him the best ever. I won't look at him differently now and say 'man that guy cried on national television.' It is not the act of crying that bothers me, there is nothing wrong with crying, it is the location and situation that troubles me. Like Tom Hanks said, "There's no crying in baseball." He didn't say that there is no crying, there is just no crying on the field. And folks, he wasn't just referring to baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment