Monday, February 2, 2009

Groundhog Day

In honor of Groundhog Day, I thought I would honor a man that never gets honored enough...Bill Murray. While Groundhog Day was a really funny movie and is pretty underrated, I have spent the day trying to figure out where it falls on the list of Murray's all time greatest movies (by the way, I do work and pretty hard, but I can think about more than one thing at a time). There is probably room for discussion about the list, but not room for discussion about Bill Murray being one of the top five funniest actors ever. I should note, that even though movies like Lost in Translation, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Broken Flowers are great, they are not classic Murray so they are not included on my list.

Here is my list (my first Top 10 list, take that Hot Clicks). Please comment, complain, agree, or protest if you like.

10. Groundhog Day (this role was made for Murray. "Yeah Rita, there hicks"...great line)
9. Meatballs (Classic for any teenage boy to see)
8. Stripes (Impossible to put Murray, Harold Ramis, and John Candy in a movie and it not be great)
7. Coffee & Cirgarettees (You may not have heard of it, but you should see it. Limited role for Murray, but great movie...classic Murray)
6. Little Shop of Horrors (Steve Martin has never been funnier and Murray played a role he was born for)
5. What About Bob? ("Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic...and so am I"...doesn't get funnier)
4. Scrooged (Could easily be #2...Murray was priceless..."The bitch hit me with a toaster")
3. Kingpin (Some of Murray's best lines..."Oh, that's not a case at all. the woman's a stone-face liar. Let's not ever talk about that. I pulled out of her really early on that one." "Me, If I get drunk and fall down and hurt myself, I might lose." "Hi. Hi. Not you. Hi")
2. Caddyshack (Most everyone recognizes this a one of the greats..."In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher." "Well, I got a lot of stuff on order. You know...credit trouble."
1. Ghostbusters (Doesn't even need any explanation, just some quotes. "Nimble little minx, in't she?" " No, we're exterminators. Someone saw a cockroach up on twelve...Bite your head off, man."Why worry? Each one of us is carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back." "Someone blows their nose and you want to keep it?" "We've been going about this all wrong. This Mr. Stay Puft's okay! He's a sailor, he's in New York; we get this guy laid, we won't have any trouble."So, she's a dog." "I don't have to take this abuse from you. I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me." "Egon, this reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole through your head. Remember that?" "If I'm wrong, nothing happens! We go to jail--peacefully, quietly. We'll enjoy it. But if I'm right, and we can stop this thing...Lenny, you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters." Last one I promise, "This happen to you before? Huh. First time?"

Some of you may argue that Caddyshack should be above Ghostbusters. Simply put, you are wrong. If I were doing a list of funniest movies ever, Ghostbusters would be at the top. I am sorry if you don't agree, but if you don't then you really need to watch the movie again and work on your sense of humor. There are very few movies that I can watch alone that I will sit for an hour and a half and laugh out loud uncontrolably and Ghostbusters is one of time (for example, Hear No Evil, See No Evil is another).
Other possible arguments could include me not including Quick Change or The Man Who Knew Too Little. Quick Change was a funny movie and outside Christmas Vacation it was Randy Quaid's best, but there can only be ten on this list, so something had to be left out. Others left out could include Rushmore, Mad Dog and Glory, Ed Wood, and Tootsie. Again I am sorry and no disrepect to those movies, but they just aren't as funny as the ones on the list. And please nobody say movies like Charlie's Angels or The Darjeeling Limited. These were good movies, but not Murray's best.
Stay tuned for more Top Ten List.

No comments:

Post a Comment