Saturday, February 7, 2009

Boogity, Boogity, Boogity...Let's Go Racin' Boys

The Bud Shootout is getting ready to start and I am pumped. I know what you are saying, "Sutton, you are a NASCAR fan." I would scream at you "YES." I am part of a large contingent of non-traditional NASCAR fans. NASCAR fans aren't necessarily what you think there are. Go to a race sometime and you will see just as many "white-collar" fans as "blue-collar" fans. I love to watch races on TV and, even more, love to go to races (though I am not camping out ever again, just find me a Hampton Inn). Scott was right in this argument against baseball about how fun NASCAR is to watch, though that doesn't bring it to the level of baseball. I guess my favorite part of NASCAR is watching a guy crash on 35 lap and get all pissed off and then go to the garage and try to figure out a way to bash the guy who wrecked him, while still plugging his sponsors. I am not a crash fan, I like the strategy and skill, but it is fun watching those guys trying to plug their sponsors.
My favorite driver is Jamie McMurray. He is not very good, but we have been over this before and I started rooting for him when I got into NASCAR, so I am still with him. I must note, that I heard a rumor last year that he was mean to kids (and I just can't have that. My favorite players can be drug users, felons and adulterers, but not mean to kids), so I picked a new driver, but I later heard a story about him being nice to kids, so I switched back. I also root for Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch and Clint Bowyer. I very much dislike Robby Gordon and Michael Waltrip, and much like the Steelers, Dale Jr. fans make it very difficult for me to root for him. 
I should also note that my wife hates the fact that I am a NASCAR fan and would really prefer me not to tell anyone. That is probably the reason that she makes me keep that the quarter panel I bought a few years back from McMurray's old car in the garage. That reminds me, if you are at a race and going to an auction, try not to drink too much. Still, it was "for the kids" so I feel great about what I did (it was an auction for a children's charity in North Carolina). 
Anyway, you will see me write a number of posts about the NASCAR season over the next several months, as I try to keep McMurray close to Chase contention for as along as I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment